Head of User Experience Design
March 2012 to date
Uniblue Systems Ltd, Malta
- Managing and leading a multinational, multidisciplinary team of Experience Design specialists, Marketing Design specialists, UX architects and Web/CRO Specialists;
- Managing all aspects of brand, design and UX (both Strategic and Operational);
- Overseeing UX practices: user research (personas, scenarios, user journeys, stakeholder interviews, focus groups); information architecture; prototyping; usability testing, A/B Split testing;
- Working closely with Product Managers (in a Pragmatic Marketing framework), VP of Sales, Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) specialists, Software Engineers and Marketing specialists;
- Participating in the full Product development lifecycle of PC and Mac Utility software applications.
Freelance Design Consultant
February 2004 - February 2012
South Africa, Israel, UK and USA
- Consulting to various Advertising agencies, Product development companies and Media agencies;
- Managing and leading design teams on a per project basis;
- Representing clients (Design agencies) in creative pitches;
- Producing conceptual designs for Online advertising campaigns, Brand communication and Website development.
Senior Web Designer
July 2001 - March 2004
Foote, Cone and Belding Ad Agency (FCB Johannesburg) Department: Electric Ocean
- Permanent position at one of South Africa's largest full-service agencies, providing through-the-line strategy and “best for business” creative solutions. FCB Johannesburg built a reputation for creating South Africa's favourite campaigns, with iconic work for some of the country's biggest blue chip brands;
- Working in a multidisciplinary team, designing Web sites and Online advertising campaigns from concept to final execution;
- Won multiple local and international Ad Industry Awards for Visual and Interaction design.
The first three permanent positions - listed below - may be seen as an extension of my formal education. Each of these positions allowed me to master different trades: Print Design, Multimedia/Interaction Design, Web Design and Brand Development. It also exposed me to various challenges working with clients and collaborating with different disciplines. I believe these opportunities equipped me, and gave me the courage to pursue the challenges of working in an Ad agency environment, which in turn opened doors to working as an independent consultant.
September 1998 - June 2001
Future Group, Midrand, South Africa
- Graphic User Interface (GUI) design, conceptual design for advertising campaigns, print design for marketing campaigns and Annual Reports, multimedia design and production.
January 1997 - August 1998
System Software Engineering, Broederstroom, South Africa
- Design and development of interactive marketing material.
Junior graphic designer
January 1996 - December 1996
Print-a-form, Pretoria, South Africa
- Graphic design and layout for print media campaigns and Brand design.